Since my election in 2015, I have been meticulous in addressing the thoughts and concerns of Fareham residents. I receive hundreds of letters and emails from constituents every week, and it is my continued pleasure to assist in any way that I can, whether clarifying government policy, raising your concerns with the relevant ministers or actively pursuing change within our community.
Fareham Community Hospital
I set up the Fareham Community Hospital (FCH) Taskforce in 2015 to improve the usage of the hospital and the quality its services. We’ve come a long way since the taskforce was created and in recent years, we’ve achieved significant objectives.
Following my recommendations stressing the need to provide more long-term medical treatments (as set out in our ‘Future Vision report 2019’), we have now amazingly seen this come to fruition. In July 2020, our plans to introduce a new renal hub became a reality – dramatically improving the lives of dialysis patients who previously relied on QA Hospital for treatment. In March 2022, I was delighted to officially open a brand-new 10-station chemotherapy unit. This fully staffed unit has provided a lifeline to Fareham residents battling this wicked disease.
Furthermore, we reached an important milestone by successfully increasing the usage of FCH. Through monitoring the level of footfall at the surgery, it was confirmed that overall usage of FCH has increased substantially. Last year, I was thrilled to learn that the usage of FCH has increased overall from 37.6 per cent to 50.9 per cent.
Young people and skills
I think it’s vital that every young person in Fareham is aware of the opportunities that are available to them. I’m confident that I’ve made progress in achieving this core belief of mine by promoting local and national apprenticeship opportunities to thousands of young people in Fareham.
Every year since I became an MP (apart from the covid years), I have hosted my Apprenticeships, Skills and Jobs Fairs. This has successfully supported and encouraged our youth to unlock the doors to their futures by connecting them with businesses looking to help.
I’ve now had the pleasure of meeting people in fantastic jobs around Fareham working in amazing sectors like aviation and engineering who found their first step on their career ladder at one of my events!
It is brilliant news that 5,130 new apprenticeships have been created in Fareham since 2015. Each new apprenticeship means another student building the skills and knowledge they need for a long and successful career.
Housing development, better transport and broadband
I’ve worked hard with Fareham Borough Council to improve transport connections, appropriate housing and broadband.
Working with Fareham BC, Hampshire CC, Highways England, Department of Transport and DLUCH and Buckland Developers to secure £41.25m of Housing Investment Grant to ensure that the upgrades are made to Junction 10 on M27 - to support the development of Welborne Garden Village. This funding has been pivotal in ensuring that this project remains on track to deliver jobs, better transport and 6000 new homes for our region.
I’ve listened to residents carefully where development has been inappropriate if local services are insufficient. I held a public meeting about the 1250-home development on Longfield Avenue which would remove the Strategic Gap between Fareham and Gosport. Following the meeting, I asked the government to call-in the application and we are awaiting the result from DLUCH.
In 2020, I convened meetings with Natural England and lobbied the government over the difficult issue of nitrates. A solution was found by working closely with the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust after much work.
Broadband access varies in Fareham. I’ve held several public meetings all over Fareham to identify the ‘not-spots’ and worked closely with Openreach to ensure that gigabit broadband is being rolled out as quickly as possible throughout Fareham. They are now on track to complete upgrades to every house in Fareham by early 2024, with 8700 households already receiving full fibre connections.
Supporting businesses and jobs
I’m committed to supporting the many fantastic local businesses we have here in Fareham. I regularly visit and meet with them to learn more about their local impact and to understand any challenges they may be experiencing, allowing me to assist where I can.
Every year, I convene my Solent Business Forum which provides local professionals with a good opportunity to connect with each other, gain useful insights into how local companies are operating and to facilitate real business opportunities.
I’m heavily involved with the local community, holding monthly surgeries all over the constituency as well as many public meetings per year at which hundreds of people voice their concerns. As a result, I have taken swift action on a range of local matters such as:
- Successfully opposing the Traffic Order on Fareham High Street which would have put up parking charges for short stay parking
- Helping to secure £450,000 of investment to protect against flooding and coastal erosion at Fareham Quay which has suffered from flood damage
- Successfully lobbied the Treasury to grant Solent Freeport status to our region enabling investment, jobs and regeneration
- Supporting local farmers by ensuring that the Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme was increased to enable local farmers to access a sufficient workforce
- Taken action against rough sleeping, anti-social behaviour and cannabis usage by working with the local Council, Police, residents and local employers near Gosport Road.
My team and I consistently provide tailored individual support to constituents, helping in many ways on a wide range of issues. For example:
1. Successfully helping constituents with on-going visa applications.
“Today, we received news that her asylum has gone through and the decision is positive. This is the best news we could of heard. Due to your actions and help, we cannot thank you enough.” – Fareham resident
2. Since the beginning of the war in Ukraine, my office and I have worked around the clock to aid brave Ukrainians fleeing their country. To date, we’ve successfully helped over 40 Ukrainians coming to Fareham under the ‘Homes for Ukraine Scheme’.
“I am very pleased to inform you that [Ukrainian Refugee] has received her permission to travel to the UK today. Amazing news. I would personally like to take this opportunity to thank you for everything that you have done to help this application. We certainly wouldn’t of been able to do this without all of your help.”
3. In cases where there are delays in receiving driving licenses, my caseworkers are always on hand to make sure that you can get your driving licenses as swiftly as possible.
“I cannot thank you enough for how much you have helped me. You are an absolute angel.”
4. “I just wanted to say how thrilled I was to read that at last our local hospital is to begin to be used. I understand that you have been working hard towards these changes so thank you and keep up the good work. So good to have an MP who really cares about their constituency.” – Maureen from Fareham
5. “This is the 1st time I have ever had the need to contact my local MP and I have to say just how impressed and grateful I have been with the help and support provided.” – Jeremy from Fareham
6. “Talking to residents in my ward and the wider Borough it’s evident how many have quietly and compassionately been helped by Suella. She’s always taking action to solve problems and has achieved a lot for all of us here in Fareham. She is definitely a ‘roll your sleeves up’ MP.” – Cllr Tina Ellis - Fareham West Councillor